Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Encouragement?


The older I get and the longer I spend in a leadership role the more I realize that sometimes there is a fine line between encouragement and being a pusher. Often times the outcome decides which label is attached.

Scripture often uses words like press on, persevere, encourage admonish, teach. But, you also have to step back and let others learn from God and their own experience. It becomes an interesting conundrum.

I know that these type of situations will require experiential Godly wisdom. However, I do not believe anyone completely masters this one. So, this teaches me grace and appreciation for those that encourage, and sometimes push, me to do what is right and hard.

13 comments:

Even So... said...

You said conundrum...

Even So... said...

Oh, and get back to work!

Even So... said...

Oh wait, one more thing, I just wrote a post 10 minutes ago about proper motivation...

Even So... said...

It is cool when you come back to visit your blog and there are a few comments...when they are all just me rambling...not so much...

Dan said...

"Often times the outcome decides which label is attached."
The outcome does not neccessarily deem right or wrong though. How many times in our lives have people tried to push us to do right (Godly) things and we just dismissed then thinking they were being a "pusher", as you termed? They, at least in my life,(I see now) were right. We proclaim, God calls.

Dan said...

Dismissed them, not then

Dan said...

Now I am doing like JD and rambling on comment after comment! Its fun to get a bunch of comments though!

T said...

You guys crack me up!
I tend to love your ramblings in general :-)

Canary Joy said...

Great post Tammi!

Christopher Cohen said...

I'm so glad I pushed you to start a blog!

Christopher Cohen said...

Because it was right....

Christopher Cohen said...

Now I'm encouraged to read your next one!

MrsEvenSo... said...

It is interesting how sometimes helping someone is to not help them when they seem to need or ask for help. It's all a part of that tension we feel. You are right though that this is an area that can not be mastered because everyone and every situation is different. May we give others grace and mercy as God gives us His Grace and Mercy.