Sunday, October 11, 2009

Settled In - For Just A Little While

On my recent hiking trip I had a great deal of time to think and pray, even more than I had planned. After I made the decision to not continue with the full hike I had a great deal of unplanned time on my hands. To give you a hint of how much time – I finished 3 books, watched several movies, did some short day hikes and still had time to cook a little and consider life in general.

I found myself surprisingly content in a way that I have not been in a long time. The best way I could it explain it to my friend was “I am settling into my age.” Let me elaborate on what I mean for those of you who are older than me and about to get a little ruffled over that statement.

In hiking terms:
On the first day we hike 11 long and difficult miles. At the end of the day we were exhausted and a little unsure of what we have committed too. We finally found the campsite, took our packs off and ate dinner. We stayed busy setting up the camp and getting things ready for the next day but at least we were not walking up hill anymore.

We had a lot of hard miles to cover the following day and none of us were sure what would be in store ahead but for those few hours we had settled into camp. The tension began to melt away and suddenly I looked around and realized I was surrounded by the handy work of an amazing creator.

Application:
I have put in some long hard miles the past few years but I feel like I have settled in for a little while. It’s not that I am stagnant but that I am doing the chores that need to be done right now and preparing for what is to come the best I can based on the knowledge gained from the previous miles.

I have no idea what God has in store for the next stage of my life but I am grateful for the few moments of being settled in and the contentment that comes with it. The thoughts of tomorrow and the wonder of what is to come are right below the surface but for a few moments you I just marvel at what God has done.

No comments: